9 Tips on how to choose the perfect web designer for your business
Have you ever been told you are far too indecisive? For example not being able to choose what meal you want to eat when you’re dining out; let alone where you want to sit… The window seat or that cozy nook in the corner? Well, being indecisive does not help when you are making the bigger decisions such as who will design your website.
There have never been more choices in the web design industry than there are now, which makes it even harder to choose the right one for you.
Considering the goals, wants, and needs of your business, you are able to begin the process of elimination. By using a process of elimination you will effectively be able to choose the right designer to build your website.
Here are 9 important tips to consider that help towards finding your ideal web designer!
1. Figure out your key values when it comes to working closely alongside someone
When it comes to your business it is crucial to consider what you need out of your potential web developer. It is important to consider what your values are when someone else is working on your business.
Some examples to look for could be:
- Have good communication skills
- Includes you in the design process
- Choosing a web designer who you can trust and who has good management systems.
In saying this, pay attention to how much they ask you about your business. A promising sign is when they ask in detail and with interest about your business such as your audience, marketing goals, and your story. How are they going to create a website that reflects your company and goals if they don’t spend the time trying to get to know you?
2. Ask the web design agency if they know about digital marketing and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
To put it bluntly, a pretty website has no worth if it is not generating revenue or engaging new clients. Why not have both?
It is important to consider web designers and developers that have experience and knowledge of SEO and digital marketing. Why? Because SEO generates rankings; making your site easier to find. SEO involves the process used to optimise technical configuration, content relevance, and link authority. This is hugely beneficial to your business! Because at the end of the day, who really checks page 30 on google search results? Find out more about what SEO is and how it can help your business.
3. Look at your potential new web designers reviews
Reading reviews and acknowledging what other people say about the business you are going to choose can be a really clear tell-tale of whether they may be suited for you or not. If you can see clear, detailed, and positive feedback this is a promising sign that you too will also have a positive experience with this web design agency.
A good place to look is the company’s Facebook page or Google My Business profile to see legitimate reviews real customers have posted about their experience.
4. Know what functionality your website needs
What functionality within your website do you want?
In other words, what functions do you need on your website? Examples of different functionalities include membership portals, newsletter sign-up, e-commerce etc. It is important to think about the longevity of your business as well as “now” to ensure your web designer factors in future implementations when choosing a suitable platform (content management system) to build your website on.
How do you want your website to grow?
As mentioned above, it is important to think of the long-term goals for your website before building it. This is because different platforms are suitable for different functionalities. For example, if you want to create an information-based website with the long-term goal of creating an online store you need to communicate this with your web designer so they can provide you with the best website solution for you now and in the future.
Do you need to edit and manage your site content?
For some businesses, this might include small changes every day, and for others may be a website revamp every 2-3 years. It is important to communicate this with your web designer so they know how hands-on you would like to be in relation to content updates.
Note: Whether you are updating your own content or need ongoing assistance from your designer it is good practice to create fresh content regularly to help with Google rankings.
5. Aviod vague concepts and ideas
Vague concepts and ideas are a recipe for disaster. It is significantly important you lead your website knowing what you want. This way it prevents lots of back and forth with your web designer and more clear ideas that your designer can bring to life for you. If you are unsure, here are a few things to consider:
- What is your business about?
- What do you want your customer or client to feel when they land on your page?
- What is your business story?
- Why people should buy your product or service
These are all really important aspects that need to be showcased on your website.
5. Define Your Design Needs
This brings us to defining your design needs.
Things to consider with design needs:
- How do you want your website to look and feel? Do you want your business story to be reflected? Do you have clear visions you can share with your designer?
- The more specific and detailed you are, the more likely you will get the design you desire.
- If you really are stuck on the look you are going for, collect websites you like, and even write notes about your favourite things you see there. Even include some things you don’t like, to ensure your designer doesn’t incorporate them into your website.
6. Know Your Business Needs
What role does your website play in your business?
Some of this links back to your technology needs, but this is crucial to decipher before you decide on your budget and scope (with this in mind, remember you are investing in your business, not spending money that won’t be returned).
How does your business get customers and what marketing strategies are you currently using? What would you like to use?
Are there any software providers that you want to integrate with your website now, or potentially in the future?
7. Think About Your Budget And Scope
Let’s be honest, professional web design is not cheap, however, it is important to view it as an investment as opposed to a cost. Your website is there to drive more income and revenue, more leads, and potential clients/customers. If you are thinking ‘I want someone to design my website for as cheap as possible, you may be looking more at a duct tape solution. In other words, you should not be looking for a custom web designer. Building websites require a lot of time, effort, and hard work they put into creating a beautiful website specifically for your business. Especially if you go down the route of SEO, which is a no-brainer if you want people to find your website online.
8. Include Detail In Your Initial Email
Once you have found some potential web designers and developers, it is helpful to include the following information in your initial email:
- How many pages do you think your website will need
- Wether or not you can provide a logo/brand strategy for your designer to use
- Will you write the content or do you need help with this
- A little bit about your business
- Whether you have a preference on what platform your designer uses (eg. WordPress, Shopify, Squarespace, etc).
9. Communicate Clearly
A good web designer cannot help an unresponsive client. It is important to keep a fine line between too much back and forth as well as not communicating enough.
Some things to keep in mind:
- The website is going to be yours so it is important you have all the information you need to make clear and good decisions for it.
- A Lot of prompt design work relies on fast and accurate feedback, otherwise, projects can be put on hold until you have communicated certain information.
- Back and forth can make it difficult, so it is important to keep emails or phone calls concise with all the information you need to share with your web designer.
In conclusion, finding the right web design company can be a daunting task, but the most exciting! It shows you are placing importance on your business and taking it to the next step. Follow these tips and you will be on your way to the website you have always dreamed of!
Talk to us about your next project!